I went hog-wild with the beets in the spring because I love, love, love them. It would take to long to complete all of them in one day because of the little ones demanding my attention. So for this week, I am planning on doing one large pot a day untill they are finished. I am trying the freezing method this year. In years past I have always pickled them and then canned them. Again that takes too much time away from my girls. Maybe with the last batch I will pickle and can them. If you are curious about processing beets keep reading for directions.
- Remove the greens and stems.
- Wash aff any extra soil.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water and a lid.
- I put them on high and boil them for 30-40 minutes or until you can pierce them with a fork.
- Place under cold running water.
- When they are cool enough to touch, use a small knike to cutt the tops and bottom part off. From there you can pop the skins right off.
- Slice or quarter them into a bowl.
- Place in freezer bags and freeze.
What have you been up to in your kitchen?